Cancer is one of those fatal diseases which may not be prevented completely; however, doctors and scientists have suggested that certain changes in the diet and physical activities can reduce the chances of colon cancer up to 75%.
This article puts down the information around tips for colon cancer diet, facts, awareness and nutrition aspect in colon cancer.
Reduce Cancer Risk by Proper Diet
A well balanced diet can help a person to reduce the risk of this disease and give strength to those who have been suffering from it. There are some good dietary habits that should be added in life.
Colon Cancer Diet
- Food that contain fiber in the meal reduce the probability of having colon cancer
- Consumption of milk or milk products, garlic and calcium can also help in preventing colon cancer
- Reducing the amount of the non-starchy fruits or vegetables from the daily meals can reduce the chances of colon cancer too
- Majority of researches on colon cancer have proved that the people who consume red or processed meat at daily basis has high risk of having colon cancer
- Obesity or abdominal fat increase the risk of the colon cancer
- Daily consumption of alcohol and long term smoking also increase the risk of colon cancer
Colon cancer: Facts and Awareness
Colon cancer is disease that a lot of people do not know much about. There are certain facts and statistics here to improve the general awareness about the disease.
- The risk of the colon cancer increases with the age, it is found that 90% of the disease occurs in the people who are aged above 50.
- The colon cancer does not always show the symptoms, especially in initial stage. That's why screening is suggested to all the people having signs of digestive irregularity or has risk factors of the cancer such as blood in stool or sudden weight loss.
- Of all the colon cancer cases, 25% had the family history of it.
- Less than 40% of the colon cancer cases have been detected in early stages.
- There are 90% of the chances that the colon cancer, if detected in early stage, can be treated successfully.
- At the second or third stage when the cancer has spread to the surrounding organs the rate of survival drops to 70%.
- 36% of the colon cancer cases are found at the second stage.
- The colon cancer has a 5-year survival rate of 66%, which is very less than any other common cancers which have survival rates of 90%.
- Colon cancer is second leading disease to cause the cancer related deaths.
- An average risk of this cancer is about 1 in 20.
- Men have higher risk of colon cancer than women.
Eating a healthy and well-balanced diet is always beneficial in fighting against infections and diseases. Colon plays an important role in our digestive system. It processes and offers nutrients throughout your body. So, maintaining a well-balanced nutritious diet is the best way to recover from colon cancer and its treatments. With preventive health checkup by Indus Health Plus, your doctor knows the health status and can help in building a diet plan that can keep colon in the best possible health before and after cancer treatment. To get in touch, fill the given form and our team member will connect with you.
Was This Article Helpful?