Overview about Coronavirus
COVID-19 is an infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered Coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019. Incubation period for COVID-19 is 1-14 days, most commonly around 5 days. The disease causes respiratory illness (like the flu) with symptoms such as a cough, fever, and in more severe cases, difficulty breathing. COVID-19 virus may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days. This may vary under different conditions (e.g. type of surface, temperature or humidity of the environment).
How Coronavirus Spreads
- Coronavirus disease spreads primarily through contact with an infected person when they cough or sneeze.
- The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales.
- These droplets land on objects and surfaces around the person.
- Other people then catch COVID-19 by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes, nose or mouth. This is why it is important to stay more than 1 meter (3 feet) away from a person who is sick.
- People of all ages can be infected by the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
- Older people and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, and heart disease) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the virus.
Common Symptoms of Novel Covid-19 or Coronavirus
People may be sick with the virus for 1 to 14 days before developing symptoms. The most common symptoms of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment
More rarely, the disease can be serious and even fatal. Older people, and people with other medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, or heart disease), may be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill.
- difficulty breathing (severe cases)
Other than this there are few symptoms which are varying person to person:
- Aches and pains
- Runny nose
- No symptoms
- Symptoms may range from mild to very severe
Prevention & Protection Tips
There’s currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease (COVID-19), but there are some preventive actions you can take and follow regularly to keep yourself safe from coronavirus. You can protect yourself and help prevent spreading the virus to others if you:
- Wash your hand often
- Avoid touching your face, eyes , nose and mouth
- Avoid crowded places
- Stay at home
- Avoid close contact with anybody having respiratory symptoms
- Cover your mouth and nose while you are sneezing or coughing
- Stay well hydrated
- Seek medical advice if you feel sick
- Wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds, with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub
- Cover your nose and mouth with a disposable tissue when you cough or sneeze
- Avoid close contact (1 meter or 3 feet) with people who are unwell
- Stay home and self-isolate from others in the household if you feel unwell
- Touch your eyes, nose, or mouth hands are not clean
Protect Others from Getting Sick
- When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose
- Throw tissue into closed dust bin immediately after use
- Clean hand with alcohol based hand rub or soup and water after coughing and sneezing and when caring for the sick
- Avoid close when you are experiencing cough and fever
- Do not spit in public
- If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing seek medical care early and share previous travel history with your health care server provider
Treatment for Coronavirus
There is no specific medicine to prevent or treat coronavirus disease (COVID-19). People may need supportive care to help them breathe.
Self-care: If you have mild symptoms, stay at home until you’ve recovered. You can relieve your symptoms if you:
- rest and sleep
- keep warm
- drink plenty of liquids
- use a room humidifier or take a hot shower to help ease a sore throat and cough
Medical treatments: If you develop a fever, cough, and have difficulty breathing, promptly seek medical care. Call in advance and tell your health provider of any recent travel or recent contact with travellers. If you have doubt about covid-19 infection then you can get your covid-19 test done at govenmenent approved labs. They have home collection facility so you no need to go anywhere.
Fact You Must Know About Coronavirus:
- To date, there is no specific medicine recommended to prevent or treat the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Do not fall prey to rumours.
- However, those infected with the virus should receive appropriate care to relieve and treat symptoms, and those with severe illness should receive optimized supportive care.
- Indus provides exclusive COVID homecare package for the COVID positive patients with mild symptoms or asymptomatic.
- If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
- Wear a mask or cover your mouth if you are coughing or sneezing.
- Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.
- Do not spread rumours
Be safe, avoid crowd, follow instructions given by government and doctors, stay home and enjoy with your family.
Tips to prevent Coronavirus (COVID-19). Understand the symptoms and facts about coronavirus. This article will help you to protect from corona virus.
Was This Article Helpful?